Coming out of the darkness

0

Written on 1/03/2008 by Alan


I'm going to come right out and say that this is not my best photo ever. It probably isn't even close. The honest truth is that I have a goal to post a photo each day and it is 11:32 pm and I am scrambling. There are some lessons that I learned while shooting these tonight and even though I don't like how they turned out, it's worth posting about. I'd be glad to hear comments/corrections from anyone.

Time of day: I was originally trying to capture both the mountain as well as the lights of the city. The mountain was coming out too dark, so I decided to include the street light and the city. If I had attempted this several hours earlier, I think I could have gotten decent lighting on the mountain as well as plenty of lights in the city. Stay tuned for that.

Equipment: Though they aren't the best, I think that my camera and lens can achieve my desired result. My biggest issue today was with the tripod. I liked the perspective I was seeing from my eye, but I can't get my tripod to go that high. I ended up climbing a flight of stairs and trying again. I got closer, but still did not achieve the same vantage point as my eye. Also, I ran out of stairs.

Patience: Practice, practice, practice. With enough patience, hopefully I will learn.

-- Nikon D80, 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, 30 at f12.0, 52mm

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment